Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Vik Muniz: You Rock!



Two years ago walking around the newly re-opened Museum of Modern Art I noticed an awesome photograph that appeared to be constructed out of crude oil. It was a scene of hundreds of people standing in attention during a concert. The artist, I later recalled was named Muniz.

Last Friday I toured the Montreal Museum of Contemporary Art. To my astonishment there was an entire retrospective on one floor devoted to Vik Muniz and his spectacular career.

Having grown up in Brazil, he became fascinated with design and graphics at a young age. However, it was not his upbringing or stated purpose to become an artist. He moved to the US in 1983 and the rest as they say, is history.

He composes earthen sculptures on massive scales (300 feet) and pictures of celebrities out of diamonds and caviar.

A true virtuoso.

He will be speaking at Hunter College in Manhattan tonight at 7:30pm. Unfortunately I won't be there.

0 comments: