Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Communications 101


Accessibility has ruined the 9-5 work schedule. It is a relic of the past. A fossil.

In our hyper-connected sphere we are faced with a million (plus one) ways to connect.

  • Dead people use séances , telegrams and fax machines to communicate with the living.
  • Old people (those over 30) use email, a phone and LinkedIn.
  • Young people use Myspace, Facebook and text messaging.
If you are reading this there is a high probability that you participate/ use some sort of online social network to communicate.

My world is somewhere in-between all of the above, but interconnected with lunatic startups, crazy commercial real estate transactions, friends and family. There are three devices I use to interact with these everything: Blackberry Curve (business), Samsung Blackjack (personal) and my Macbook Pro.

Having two phones really sucks. I have a Grand Central account, but I haven't really started using it yet, besides I don't think that will solve my text messaging addiction or my crackberry problem.

The Macbook is the only suitable companion for all my travels. Airplanes, board meetings, email, facebook, movies, music - its all there.

All of these devices that allow me to work/blog/have fun/connect consume my life. In 10-20 years I look forward to the next wave of mobility, flexibility and connectivity. Maybe what I really want is a Dick Tracy wristwatch phone/internet device. Is that too much to ask?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

would you mind send me an invite to grand central? hope it works will for you...

thanks ---- David

davidstanley@icerocket.com