Friday, July 6, 2007

Job Stalking

This blog is great. Literally I can write about anything. Its invigorating.

One of my buddies is in the job market. He is hitting a wall. He wants a job in finance and he has only a limited amount of work experience in this field (thats because he's 24).

My advice was simple. Stalk the companies you are interested in working for or with.

Email the buggers. Call them religiously. Act like getting a job is your job. Please don't fax them though, it hurts the trees and no one really uses faxes nowadays.

Too many people think that monstertrak is the way to get a job. I am sure people get plenty of jobs through this service. But a real job is one that not only you want, but you strive for.

Commercial real estate and investing did not land on my door step. My dad is not a big hedge fund guy - he's an electrician. My mom is a full time mom (there's a full four kids in our pod). But both of my parents taught me how to earn my keep and spot opportunity.

As their oldest pupil they never set artificial barriers for me to be a success. If I wanted to work as a bartender that was fine. If tomorrow I wanted to become a professional world traveler or a garbage man - go for it!

This mentality has worked well for my professional aspirations. It is my prerogative to surround myself with people who are "Lets make it happen" types.

Thus I told my friend to spend a week looking into companies he is really interested in learning more about. Look up old articles about the CEO's, VP's. Find out where they eat lunch. Where are all their offices located? What is the most recent application, software update, quarterly revenues? Be that guy who they want to hire.

My college internship did not exist. I created it. Create the opportunity for someone to offer you a position. Become indispensable so the company you want to work for has to hire your services.

2 comments:

TheRaze said...

that's awesome advice.

and btw, this is "heather r" from iilwy.

Kristian said...

Heather,

Thanks for reading. Glad to see that iilwy is actually connecting some people.

Best,
Kristian